Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Late Start Garden

OOPS! I waited until April 28 to plant my garden seeds. I think that's a bit late, but gosh I've been lazy. I think I bought my jiffy tray and seeds in early March. I was much more on the ball last year and had fantastic tomatoes, beans and zucchini, so I hope I haven't messed up this year already.
Reese's favorite part was pouring the 10 cups of warm water into the jiffy tray with the little coin style peat pots that grow when wet.He successfully got some seeds in place. He was in charge of the pumpkin seeds--we're going to give these a try this year and see how it goes. He tried to plant some on top of the tomato seeds, but I think I successfully separated them all correctly. I guess we'll see when they grow if anything looks mixed.
So this year we are growing beans, zucchini (though MUCH less than last year as they overpowered everything), bell peppers, beefsteak tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and pumpkins. Last year the bell peppers, brussel sprouts and carrots were so overshadowed by zucchini they didn't grow. I'm hoping this year to have a little more control over the zucchini growth. I am really hoping to get a good bell pepper harvest---we'll save so much money!! I will dice and freeze whatever we don't eat fresh to use throughout the rest of the year in spaghetti sauce, chili, sloppy joes, etc. At the grocery they have been $1.50 for one lousy green bell pepper so I think we'll save a bundle if our harvest is good. Then I won't feel so frivolous spending so much at Local Boys in Purdy on salsa (can't wait for them to open -- we ran out of salsa before Christmas!) berries and asparagus and whatever else we don't grow.

No comments: