Monday, August 16, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

Back to the regular grind after vacation at Lake Chelan. We came home from what I thought was hot as the center of the earth to our old reliable Pacific Northwest days in the 60s. WHAT A RELIEF!! I officially am acclimated to WA weather and bite my tongue the next time I long for east coast weather. While on vacation each family was in charge of one dinner. I swear we had enough food to feed double the 17 people we had to. We ate on the back patio every night except our night to cook we had a huge rain storm. We ate inside after oohing and aahing at the lightening, since we rarely see that around here.
How we worked it was:
Arrival day hamburgers and hotdogs and salads (potato, pasta and the like) provided by....not sure who brought that stuff.
Great Grandparents: pulled pork sandwiches with pasta salad and baked beans
Gutierrez (my peeps): tri tip steak on the grill, rice and potato salad
Old Benza (Kyle's peeps): pork loin on the grill (we never tried it this way, we bought some at costco this weekend and we're having it tonight!), Cesar salad, potato and pasta salad
Young Benza (us, hee hee): carne asada fajitas, spanish rice, refried beansNix (family friends that also came with us): lasagna
last night: hamburgers and hotdogs and salads (potato, pasta and the like) provided by....not sure who brought that stuff.
Worked out perfect!! Except we had to schlepp a lot of food back home.You can read more about what we did while we were there by reading last week's posts.

During our week of gloriously comfortable weather we had:
spaghetti and meatballs, fajitas (because we brought home 50 tortillas), stubbs chicken on the grill with scalloped potatoes and peas, chicken potato fajita, nachos (using up the tortilla chips we brought home from Chelan) and on Sunday that yummy pork loin on the grill--it's mushroom and pepper seasoning from costco.

This week we return to the center of the earth so I bet we end up not cooking at home everyday as planned, but our goal is:
Monday: Cheddar Chicken and Potatoes
Tuesday: Cheeseburgers on the grill, baked beans, green salad
Wednesday: Chicken Rice Skillet--this is a concoction using precooked and cubed chicken, fried rice-a-roni (i know..it's nasty processed box food, but I love it and can't figure out how to recreate it on my own), broccoli.
Thursday: stubbs pork chops on the grill, carrots (from our garden?), potato dish of some kind
Friday: Ham casserole I have a dentist appointment at 3pm..this is quick and easy, but requires the oven so...I suspect this will end up being an eat out day.
Saturday: orange sauce enchiladas, spanish rice
Sunday: spaghetti and meatballs....I need to try to make something that results in leftovers for Kyle's lunch.

Check out what other people are making for dinner at OrgJunkie's Menu Plan Monday.

2 comments:

JessieLeigh said...

Ooh, ooh, I can help! My buddy Lynn has an awesome "homemade rice a roni recipe that I LOVE. I make a few cups of the stuff at a time and store it in one of those Ziploc twist 'n loc containers in my pantry. The recipe is right here:http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2008/11/homemade-rice-a-roni-mix.html
I think your 60 degree days sound wonderful! It's actually been gorgeous here lately though... mid to high 70's, sunny, and dry. I can't complain. :)

Susana said...

OMG, 60 degrees!!!! Try upper 90's and 100% humidity STILL!! Can't wait for it to cool off!

Would you believe I've been cooking dinners almost every night of the week for about two months--that's a record for me the last couple years!

And, I'm learning to "coupon":-).

I think you've had some good food by the way.