Friday, December 9, 2011

Thanksgiving

Did we have Thanksgiving this year you may be wondering? Why yes, yes we did. However we didn't really manage to adequately document it from a photographic standpoint. In fact we did not take one stinking photo of my beautiful bird or any other food for that matter.
I was on the ball at first. Here is Gus helping to make pumpkin pie. We also had apple pie using my self canned apple pie filling which, now that I'm looking for a link I see neither myself or my canning cohort mentioned in our canning posts. All the usual suspects were present. Great Grandma Joyce, Granddad (Kyle's dad), Great Grandpa Bob (you know the greats are for Reese and Gus...they are regular grandparents to Kyle).Kyle and Reese.
Mimi (my mom), Gigi (Kyle's mom), Gus and Reese.and yes I was there and Grandpop (my dad), Poppop (my step-dad), Uncle Travis and Uncle Dylan (my brothers).

We had the traditional turkey. I follow the Alton Brown Roasted Turkey recipe for brining and cooking. This is the 4th year I brined the turkey. I will never prepare a turkey without brine again. It is the best way! You must use a William Sonoma brine bag for the best experience.
Of course we also had mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing (I think I'm sticking with this recipe), brussels sprouts gratin, green bean casserole with homemade cream of mushroom soup, roasted butternut squash, homemade cranberry sauce, hawaiian rolls and for the first time ever I made that sweet potato with marshmallow recipe...it will be coming back every year!

Even though we failed to document it I think a good time was had by all. It's so nice that our boys get to enjoy Thanksgiving with 4 generations of their family!


No comments: