Sunday, October 26, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

It started with Dr. OZ, You on a Diet -- the hour long special on Discovery Health Channel. He went through the woman's pantry and fridge and made a healthy pile and a "junk" food pile. Of course she had like 6 healthy things and everything else was basically crap--even the stuff she thought was healthy. Like that breakfast bar you thought was healthy but really is so packed with sugar you may as well have eaten the Reese's peanut butter cups you really wanted. Anyway from there I launched into Skinny Bitch, What to Eat, The Omnivore's Dilemma and Nutrition Action Newsletter. But the NY Times article "A Farm Boy Reflects" is what helped convince my hubby. (It was the part about the goose's life partner trying to rescue it's partner from being dinner.) SO we are making the switch to organic meat AND we are going to start reducing the meat we eat all together. We're going to start with 2 meatless dinners per week. Now this is not say we may not continue eating our AmyLu Organic Chicken and Gouda sausages at breakfast on a meatless dinner day, but none the less we will be reducing our meat consumption. This week's menu:

MONDAY: Chicken Alfredo Ravioli with costco cibo garlic cheese sauce
TUESDAY: eat out (Reese has Holly Ridge at 11am and Flu shot at 1:30, Kyle goes to work at 3)
WEDNESDAY: Chicken Tetrazini, Brussel sprouts
THURSDAY: Veggie Fried Rice and egg rolls from a Southern Living Cookbook
FRIDAY: Red Beans and Quinoa Chili from Feeding the Whole Family Cooking with Whole Foods
SATURDAY: Leftovers
SUNDAY: Veggie Lasagna Florentine

Once I make these I will post photos and the recipes for wed, thurs, fri on my new recipes blog. In the meantime check out other people's menu plans at OrgJunkie to get some new ideas.

Kyle is on his computer upstairs and I just didn't feel like luggin mine up so I am using his old laptop up here so we can do our computer time together. Anyway I had to download the menu plan logo and saved it on his laptop where I found the VERY FIRST photo ever taken of Reese. My anesthesiologist shot the photo once they whisked Reese to the stabilization room---basically a closet attached to my OR. I guess these 2 people in the photo are the NICU folks. I was still strapped to the OR table and I think Kyle is still with me waiting to be allowed in the room with Reese to "cut the cord."

He doesn't seem as small as he really was in this photo to me, but he was 975 grams--a smidge over 2 pounds.

No comments: