Thursday, April 15, 2010

Zucchini Pasta Bake

I needed to use up the last of my fresh zucchini before it died. I found a couple different things online that looked good. I finally settled on one from the $5 Dinner Mom (her site is stuck in loading so this is just the site, not the recipe) but modified it suit our tastes...and I wasn't necessarily trying to make it for less than $5. It turned out so good we are definitely keeping it in the regular rotation.
8 oz whole wheat pasta (I normally use the whole box, but you need to use 8 oz or double the rest or you just won't have enough sauce)
Turkey Keilbasa cut into bite sized pieces
1-2 Tbls Olive Oil
1 can diced tomatoes do not drain
1 cup diced zucchini (I used 3 small zucchini because that's what I had)
1 red bell pepper diced
1 can of mushrooms (I threw this in because I switched to fresh mushrooms as a rule, but had one can left about to expire)
1 Tbls italian seasoning
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder (I used a palmful of dried onion flakes)
1 cup shredded parmesean

1. Cook pasta according to package, drain, set aside.
2. Brown keilbasa, set aside
3. Cook zucchini and peppers in olive oil about 5 minutes; add tomatoes, mushrooms and seasonings. Add meat, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, stir in cooked pasta.
5. Place in a baking dish, sprinkle wish shredded parmesean.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I have a 5 qt pan that has a huge diameter and very low sides (maybe 2 1/2 inches tall by 14 or so inches across). I used this as my skillet and then put it in the oven so it was a 2 pot meal (second pot to boil the pasta.)


YUM!!!

No comments: