Monday, May 5, 2008

Meal Plan Monday


I don't understand how we have so many leftovers. Last week I planned fewer meals to allow for the leftovers, but this week we still skipped the garlic quinoa salad (just wasn't in the mood), meatloaf, skewers. The weather has been so blecky that skewers seemed inappropriate. Instead of quinoa on Monday we had fish basted in A1 New Orleans Cajun steak sauce, with mashed potatoes and the jolly green giant's immunity boost veggie mix:
I intended my potatoes to be red potatoes whole but 2 were big and after I cut them in half they got kind of water logged so we had mashed with sour cream, but no gravy and it was quite yummy. The butternut Longaberger plate makes it look so pretty.
We're having last week's meatloaf on MONDAY but I think the Tyler's Ultimate looks a bit more involved that I was hoping for, so I scoured foodnetwork's other choices and I think I'll dabble a little in Tyler, Ellie, Emeril and Paula's choices to make my own concoction. Sweet potatoes and broccoli as the sides.
Tuesday: Ham casserole: cooked noodles with cooked mixed veggies (corn, peas, green beans, lima beans, carrots) and cubed ham steak mixed all together with cream of mushroom soup, sprinkled with bread crumbs baked at 350 for about 25 minutes.
Wednesday: Leftovers--my eye doctor appointment
Thursday: Teriyaki chicken with brown rice and peas.
Friday: homemade pizza
Saturday: quesadilla a la Kyle or sweet potato/black bean burritos--sounds gross, but it was in Rachel Ray mag as quesadilla. I find it easier to just zap my leftover potato and beans in the microwave and roll it in a tortilla for my meal while Kyle is at work and I must say it is surprisingly delicious!!!!
Sunday: pork chops, brussel sprouts, some kind of rice or noodle or potato thing. I'm not the least bit hungry now so nothing really grabs me as a particularly yummy accompaniment.

Check out some other meal time options at I'm an Organizing Junkie

MEATLOAF update: Kyle deemed it the best meatloaf ever. I used a pound of ground turkey and a pound of 95% lean ground beef, 1 can of diced tomatoes mostly drained, worchestershire sauce--a few good shakes at least a tablespoon, maybe even 2, some dry mustard about a teaspoon and a half, garlic and herb Mrs. Dash about a tablespoon, 1/2 cup italian bread crumbs, 1/2 cup bbq sauce, salt and pepper. baked 1 hour 15 minutes at 350. yum!! it was very moist and flavorful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather...

Wanted to stop by to answer your question about brown rice.

Oh, YES, you can use a smaller casserole dish. In fact, I doubled both the size of the dish and recipe. The original recipe calls for 1 c. rice and 2.5 cups of water, a little salt and a little butter or oil. You still need to bake it the same amount of time, though.

Nice to meet you and your beautiful family!

Blessings, and Happy Mother's Day!