Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cooking with Purees

While I hope Reese does not become a picky eater I still thought Deceptively Delicious seemed like a good idea. So I bought Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook about hiding vegetables in your food and a cool new food processor. Kyle and I like veggies but we still don't eat enough so I figure it could be a good thing. Her book is all about hiding pureed fruits and veggies in your food. She, of course, offers recipes to help you on your way. I have also just recently subscribed to Taste of Home magazine and the latest issue had these cute "trick or treat turnovers" that I wanted to make so I combined the 2 and doctored up the magazines recipe. I used ground turkey instead of the recommended beef and added Worcestershire sauce to "beef" it up, diced onion, 1/4 cup plus a big squirt of mustard (i mixed regular yellow and spicy brown), couple handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese and CARROT PUREE!! Then you roll out a jumbo pillsbury flaky biscuit, add the meat mixture, then cover with another rolled out biscuit with a jack-o-lantern face cut out. Cook at 350 for about 12 minutes. This is what they looked like. You can just pick them up and eat with your hands like an enclosed sandwich and I served a veggie on the side. Super cute and yummy. And the carrot was not detectable except for the bit of color it added to the turkey...I bet you wouldn't notice with beef.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks a little too complicated for me.

Julie said...

I think they look great! I just tried the Corn Tortilla Chicken Lasanga and it is really good too. No hidden veggies though...