Sunday, January 10, 2010

Menu Plan Monday

One of my resolutions was to save money, a goal I plan to meet by slashing our food budget. I am doing this more loosely than lots of bloggers. I probably won't keep all my grocery receipts and know to the penny what we are spending. But through more purposeful planning I know we'll easily spend less because we've been going to the grocery store twice a week or even more sometimes. I buy stuff whenever I feel like eating it as opposed to when it's on sale. So I've planned for the month of January and we've shopped ($82) so I know we can have dinner every night without returning to the store. I will keep buying whole organic milk for Reese for $3 per half gallon and I will buy matchstick carrots for our salad at $1.79 per bag which is probably the equivalent of 3 carrots, and I will buy 10 packs of my beloved butternut squash ravioli at Costco when the asterisk that indicates last batch appears (it did this weekend, so hurry). But I didn't say Kyle lost his job and we were in dire straits. I just am going to bolster our emergency fund and this a budget area where there is room to trim the fat.
So what are we eating this month?
1 tsp curry
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp grated ginger (i'll have to use powdered)
1 large ripe tomato
2 cups+ veggies (bell peppers, cauliflower, onion, mushroom, peas, etc)
6 oz. chicken or 1/2 cup lentils cooked
1 TBls canola oil
1/8 t salt
1/2 cup brown rice cooked

this seems like one serving to me but the recipe doesn't really say

  • breakfast for dinner using Aidell's Cajun Style Andouille Sausage--which is NOT budget friendly but very worth the splurge in our opinion, even Reese loves this
  • Black Bean, Barley, Corn Burritos
  • Homemade Pizza
  • Fajitas using some carne asada we got at costco and I'm going to attempt homemade torillas using The Happy Homemaker's recipe I'll do this for the barley burritos too
  • spaghetti and aidell's meatballs - the link is for our sauce
  • shake n' bake pork chops with mashed potatoes/gravy and brown sugar kissed carrots
  • stubbs pork chops, broccoli, some kind of rice dish...Stubbs marinades are pretty expensive but we think worth it.
  • I have a stray box of stove top stuffing so we'll have a chicken, broccoli, stuffing casserole
  • I'll also concoct a chicken, rice a roni, veggie skillet meal
  • Our beloved Butternut Squash Ravioli-- i think it must be made for Costoc because the website doesn't list them as a choice but they exist I promise.
  • Jambalaya--I use Jennie-O Turkey Keilbabsa and frozen shrimp
  • Enchiladas--I use the recipe on the back of the Old EL Paso green enchilada sauce can
  • Mushroom Lasagna--no ricotta cheese in the recipe, so an easy pantry meal (easy because I won't precook my noodles and I won't have to buy anything special)
That is the rest of our month. The 14th Kyle and Reese have haircuts before Kyle goes to work so they may eat out. That night while Kyle is at work and Grandma babysits I am going to Red Lobster with my friends, Laura and Wendy.

For other people's menu ideas check out organizing junkie every week.

No comments: